Storm Cleanup: What To Do First
If your home is damaged by storms, it can be devastating. We at SERVPRO of Indianapolis North understand that you need help fast to minimize the damage. Immediately following a storm that has left your home with a flooded basement or damaged flooring, there are steps that you can take right away.
1. Take pictures! Photos of affected areas and belongings can be critical proof of damaged items and repairs that need to be made.
2. Remove what water you can if it is safe to be in your damaged home or office. Check to be sure drains are not clogged to allow sump pumps to work properly.
3. Call the restoration specialists at SERVPRO of Anderson at 765-643-6265. Our trained technicians can evaluate the extent of the damage to your structure and contents and evaluate for possible mold infestation. Utilizing the most up to date processes and equipment, SERVPRO of Anderson can make your home or business "Like it never even happened."
Mold After Flooding
If your home has recently been flooded, there are steps you can take as a homeowner to fight fast-growing mold.
1. Wear protection: utilize a face mask, nonporous gloves and protective eyewear when cleaning up your home after a flood.
2. Improve ventilation: open windows and doors while in your home to increase air flow.
3. Clean up and dry out: wipe down wet items and surfaces with detergent and water and use fans to help speed up the drying process.
4. Discard soaked items that have been wet for more than 48 hours.
5. Call trained professionals to inspect your home, even if you don't have obvious signs of mold growth.
If you have experienced flooding in your home, follow these steps and rely on the trained professionals at SERVPRO of Anderson to inspect and take care of a suspected mold problem.
When Disaster Strikes Your Commercial Property
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Central Indiana commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. We offer the following services for commercial properties of any size:
Commercial Restoration Services
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Mold Remediation
- Commercial Storm and Major Events
- Disaster Recovery Team
Contact SERVPRO of Anderson at 765-643-6265 anytime of the day or night. Our highly trained technicians are ready to make your property "Like it never even happened."
Tips for Home Fire Prevention
A fire in your home can be devastating financially and emotionally for your family. Although there is no way to prevent every fire, there are steps that you can take to minimize your family's risk of being victims.
Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside sleeping areas and outside bedroom doors. Check once a month to be sure these alarms are functioning and replace batteries as needed.
Decide on a fire escape plan with your family members and practice this plan often. Establish a safe place to meet outside of your home in case of fire or smoke.
If you see smoke or suspect a fire in your home, get out immediately and call for help. Never go back inside the home for any items or pets.
House fires can happen even when all precautions are taken. If your home has suffered a loss due to fire or smoke damage, call SERVPRO of Anderson at 765-643-6265. Our specially trained technicians will be there within hours to assess the damage, answer your questions, and make your home "Like it never even happened."
Preparing for Severe Weather in Central Indiana
It's storm season in central Indiana, and there are steps you can take to prepare for the potential damage to your home and property and minimize the after effects should your home be hit hard by a storm.
First, be sure you know what you are covered for under your homeowner's insurance. Most policies cover damage due to tornadoes, fire, ice, wind, severe temperatures, lightening and hailstorms. However, flooding due to a storm is not generally covered under most policies. Never assume your home and property are protected. If you have questions about your policy contact your agent.
Immediately following the storm inspect your home and watch out for hazards such as broken glass, exposed nails and downed power lines. Stay at least 10 feet from downed lines and contact your utility company immediately.
If your home does sustain damage after severe weather, contact your insurance company and have your home inspected by a qualified restoration specialist to determine what repairs are needed. If it is necessary to relocate during the restoration process your insurance company may be able to reimburse you some of the expenses to do so.
SERVPRO of Anderson can walk you through the steps necessary to restore your home and property after a storm. Our technicians are highly trained to clean and restore your home after disaster strikes. Call 765-643-6265 - We Are Faster To Any Size Disaster.
Avoid These Common Causes of Home Electrical Fires
A fire in your home can be devastating. Avoid the risk of injury, smoke and property damage by knowing the most common causes of electrical fires:
1. Old Wiring - Did you know that the lifespan of electrical systems in homes is 30-40 years but more than 30% of the nation's homes are more than 50 years old? Signs that your home's wiring may need to be updated include an over-reliance on extension cords and circuit breakers that blow or fuses that need to be replaced constantly. Consult with a reputable electrician to find out what updates your home needs to be safe.
2. Space Heaters - These portable heaters are not designed for long-term use. Portable heating devices should never be placed near combustible surfaces such as clothing, curtains, rugs, bedding or furniture. If you choose to utilize a space heater, look for a model that stays cool to the touch and has a built in automatic shut-off feature in case it is accidentally covered or left on.
3. Old, Outdated Appliances - Never use an appliance that has a worn or frayed cord. Never remove the grounding plug from a cord so that it can be used in a 2 prong outlet. That extra prong is designed to only be used with an outlet that can accommodate the extra electricity that this appliance draws.
Even when taking precautions, electrical fires can occur and have devastating consequences in your home or workplace. If you experience fire or smoke damage, call SERVPRO of Anderson at 765-643-6265 day or night to speak with an experienced restoration specialist.
Tips to Avoid Water Damage to Your Anderson Home
The arrival of warm weather each spring is a welcome change after a long, cold Indiana winter. Unfortunately, the change in temperatures means your home could be at risk for flooding, especially with spring's heavy rains and unpredictable storms.
There are some steps you can take to safeguard your home from a water damage.
1. Inspect, clean and repair your rain gutters. Gutters clogged with leaves or other debris may not be functioning properly and may not be channeling water away from your home. This can cause water to accumulate next to your home's foundation and eventually make it's way inside. Also, be sure water is draining away from your home to storm drains and not accumulating on your property.
2. Check your sump pump to be sure it is working properly. You may also want to consider a backup generator. If your home loses power, this will keep your sump pump functioning and water out of your basement.
3. Visually inspect your outside pipes for leaks and damage.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Anderson
SERVPRO of Anderson specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Call the experts at SERVPRO of Anderson at 765-643-6265 for 24-hour emergency service.
For Immediate Service in Anderson, call SERVPRO
SERVPRO of Anderson provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Anderson. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 765-643-6265
Whether your Anderson home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Anderson commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
Anderson Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Anderson for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Anderson specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 765-643-6265
Anderson Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Anderson basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 765-643-6265
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Anderson and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 765-643-6265